According to the Innosight Institute:
In the year 2000, roughly 45,000 K–12 students took an online course. In 2009, more than 3 million K–12 students did.
That’s a 6,567 % increase in less than ten years.
In the book Disrupting Class, the authors project that by 2019, 50 percent of all high school courses will be delivered online. In addition the book claims that:
- Customized learning will help many more students succeed in school
- Student-centric classrooms will increase the demand for new technology
- Computers must be disruptively deployed to every student
- Disruptive innovation can circumvent roadblocks that have prevented other attempts at school reform
- We can compete in the global classroom-and get ahead in the global market
What are your thoughts about blended learning?